--- In [email protected], Chris Austin-Lane <chris@...> wrote:
>
> I find the direction zen is leading me is not away from my feelings and
> toward logical thought, but towards an ability to thoroughly know my
> feelings without subsequently doing regrettable things. Feelings are
> inseparable from living.
> 
> I find the idea that logic and reason can be effective goal setters to be
> oddly at odds with reality. Logic and reason are very useful servants but
> they cannot provide a context for decision making.
> 
> When I sit, at least, I see a wild system of counter balancing impulses and
> tendencies; I can hope to respect the balance and stop cranking up the
> static, to let the systems do their jobs, but I must say making it into a
> system governed by logic and reason, not gonna happen. :-)  but that is
> fine, the idea of a man governed by logic is just an (enjoyable) fantasy.
> 
> Live long and prosper,
> 
> --Chris 

  Hi Chris. Logic is useful from the relative view-point, but cannot
  apprehend The Unborn. Here is a quote, not from a Zen Buddhist, but
  rather the Roman philosopher Plotinus: "The analytic reason, if it
  wants to say anything at all, must seize first one element of what
  it is looking at and then the next; such are the conditions of 
  analytic thought. But how is this to ever comprehend the absolutely
  Uncompounded?...Strip away everything!"
  Steve
> 
> 
> 




------------------------------------

Current Book Discussion: any Zen book that you recently have read or are 
reading! Talk about it today!Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to