--- In [email protected], "Bill!" <BillSmart@...> wrote:
   ED:  Does 'zen' involve just doing zazen (shikantaza) practice?

BILL: Yes. My zen practice centers around shikantaza but is basically a
practice to bring 'clear mind' or 'Buddha Mind' or 'direct experience of
reality' experienced in shikantaza up off the cushion and into every
area of my daily life.
ED: Because 'zen' is secular, we ought to keep the Buddha out of it and
refer to the said state as 'clear mind' or 'true nature'.


ED: Are there any other recommendations, whether derived from Buddhism
or elsewhere?

BILL: No. 'Clear mind' is enough.



ED: Are there any other recommendations, whether derived from Buddhism
or elsewhere?

BILL:I certainly am aware of and appreciate many of the recommendations
(teachings) of Buddhism, Christianity, other religions and other people;
but all of these are for me just examples of what others have tried to
communicate after experiencing 'clear mind'.  That's there experience. I
have my own. I beleive they are the same experience, but I may choose to
expressmine differently. In any event my experience is more valuable to
me than reading or hearing about someone elses.

ED: Surely you do not or can not know whether they have experienced
'clear mind' or not.



ED: Is a teacher or guide required?

Bill: Not required, but could be helpful in the beginning. I was guided
by two Japanese Zen Buddhist Roshis when I began.

ED: Was Mauezumi Roshi aware that you were practicing 'zen' and not
'Zen', and if so, did he approve?



ED:  Is there any material on 'zen' on the Internet?

BILL: Sure. It's all over the internet. You can find it in Buddhist
Sutras, Christian writings especially the teachings of Jesus, it's in
Sufi writings and stories, it's expressed in a lot of poetry and songs,
Osho's writings are full of it. I quote a lot of it in my posts from
time to time.

ED: This response stops me dead in my tracks. I need to reflect on it.



ED: Are there currently any 'zen' teachers in the US that you are aware
of?

BILL: I could truthfully say that everyone I meet is a zen teacher to
me; but there are no 'official' zen teachers I know of. Like I said
earlier you could get started with any reputable Zen Buddhist or Chan
teacher, or Christian or Jewish or Sufi teacher. Just go through their
teachings and in the end discard the religion-specific parts.

ED: For me, Zen Buddhist, yes. My temperament and/or preferences and/or
mind-space are not compatible the others at the present time.





Reply via email to