My mistake in the definition of this word, makes me feel not very logical.

Brett
http://www.pbase.com/brett1963

--- On Fri, 2/4/11, Bill! <[email protected]> wrote:


From: Bill! <[email protected]>
Subject: [Zen] Re: Spock?
To: [email protected]
Date: Friday, February 4, 2011, 5:27 PM


Brett,

I half-agree with you.

Logic has nothing at all to do with the truth.  Logic is knowing and following 
fules.

I do agree with you that wisdom is the ability to apply...although I'd say 
'apply knowlege' not 'apply truth'.

...Bill!

In [email protected], Brett Corbin <brettalancorbin@...> wrote:
>
> I think logic and wisdom are two different things, here is my definition... 
> logic is knowing the truth, wisdom is applying it. 
> 
> Brett
> http://www.pbase.com/brett1963
> 
> --- On Fri, 2/4/11, Chris Austin-Lane <chris@...> wrote:
> 
> 
> From: Chris Austin-Lane <chris@...>
> Subject: Re: [Zen] Re: Spock?
> To: [email protected]
> Date: Friday, February 4, 2011, 9:01 AM
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> I find the direction zen is leading me is not away from my feelings and 
> toward logical thought, but towards an ability to thoroughly know my feelings 
> without subsequently doing regrettable things. Feelings are inseparable from 
> living. 
> I find the idea that logic and reason can be effective goal setters to be 
> oddly at odds with reality. Logic and reason are very useful servants but 
> they cannot provide a context for decision making. 
> When I sit, at least, I see a wild system of counter balancing impulses and 
> tendencies; I can hope to respect the balance and stop cranking up the 
> static, to let the systems do their jobs, but I must say making it into a 
> system governed by logic and reason, not gonna happen. :-)  but that is fine, 
> the idea of a man governed by logic is just an (enjoyable) fantasy.
> Live long and prosper,
> --Chris
> 
> On Feb 4, 2011 8:43 AM, "ED" <seacrofter001@...> wrote:
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Definitions:
> 'feelings' = interior sensations in humans
> 'emotions' = exterior expressions of feelings
> 'V-humans' = subset of humans comparable to Vulcans.
>  
> Then, the statement for 'V-humans' corresponding to your statement below for 
> Vulcans might be:
> "V-humans experience subdued feelings, and so they can with ease avoid 
> emoting. (This mind-state has been achieved in the course of an extended 
> period of time through meditation practices and other 
> mind-training procedures.) Due to their equanimous mind-state, V-humans can 
> deal more rationally with life situations."
>  
> 'Just as a solid massive rock remains unshaken by the wind, so too, in face 
> of blame and praise, the wise remain immovable.'      --Dhammapadda Verse: 81
>  
> 
> 
> 
> --- In [email protected], "Dave P" <wookielifeday@> wrote:
> >
> > "Vulcans do not lack emotion. This is an all too common misconception. It 
> > is merely that our emoti...
>  
>




------------------------------------

Current Book Discussion: any Zen book that you recently have read or are 
reading! Talk about it today!Yahoo! Groups Links






      

Reply via email to