> On 11/7/07, can you guess? <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > > Monday, November 5, 2007, 4:42:14 AM, you wrote:
> > >
> > > cyg> Having gotten a bit tired of the level of
> ZFS
> > > hype floating

> But I do believe that some of the "hype" is justified

Just to make it clear, so do I:  it's the *unjustified* hype that I've objected
to (as my comments on the Yager article should have made clear).

I believe that ZFS will, for at least some installations and workloads and when
it has achieved the requisite level of reliability (both actual and perceived),
allow some people to replace the kind of expensive equipment that you describe
with commodity gear - and make managing the installation easier in the process.
 That, in my opinion, is its greatest strength; almost everything else is by
comparison down in the noise level.

However, ZFS is not the *only* open-source approach which may allow that to
happen, so the real question becomes just how it compares with equally
inexpensive current and potential alternatives (and that would make for an
interesting discussion that I'm not sure I have time to initiate tonight).

- bill