> > > On 11/7/07, can you guess?
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > wrote:
> > However, ZFS is not the *only* open-source
> approach
> > which may allow that to happen, so the real
> question
> > becomes just how it compares with equally
> inexpensive
> > current and potential alternatives (and that would
> > make for an interesting discussion that I'm not
> sure
> > I have time to initiate tonight).
> >
> > - bill
>
> Hi bill, only a question:
> I'm an ex linux user migrated to solaris for zfs and
> its checksumming;

So the question is:  do you really need that feature (please quantify that need
if you think you do), or do you just like it because it makes you feel all warm
and safe?

Warm and safe is definitely a nice feeling, of course, but out in the real
world of corporate purchasing it's just one feature out of many 'nice to haves'
- and not necessarily the most important.  In particular, if the *actual* risk
reduction turns out to be relatively minor, that nice 'feeling' doesn't carry
all that much weight.

 you say there are other open-source
> alternatives but, for a linux end user, I'm aware
> only of Oracle btrfs
> (http://oss.oracle.com/projects/btrfs/), who is a
> Checksumming Copy on Write Filesystem not in a final
> state.
>
> what *real* alternatives are you referring to???

As I said in the post to which you responded, I consider ZFS's ease of
management to be more important (given that even in high-end installations
storage management costs dwarf storage equipment costs) than its real but
relatively marginal reliability edge, and that's the context in which I made my
comment about alternatives (though even there if ZFS continues to require
definition of mirror pairs and parity groups for redundancy that reduces its
ease-of-management edge, as does its limitation to a single host system in
terms of ease-of-scaling).

Specifically, features like snapshots, disk scrubbing (to improve reliability
by dramatically reducing the likelihood of encountering an unreadable sector
during a RAID rebuild), and software RAID (to reduce hardware costs) have been
available for some time in Linux and FreeBSD, and canned management aids would
not be difficult to develop if they don't exist already.  The dreaded 'write
hole' in software RAID is a relatively minor exposure (since it only
compromises data if a system crash or UPS failure - both rare events in an
enterprise setting - sneaks in between a data write and the corresponding
parity update and then, before the array has restored parity consistency in the
background, a disk dies) - and that exposure can be reduced to seconds by a
minuscule amount of NVRAM that remembers which writes were active (or to zero
with somewhat more NVRAM to remember the updates themselves in an inexpensive
hardware solution).

The real question is usually what level of risk an enterprise storage user is
willing to tolerate.  At the paranoid end of the scale reside the users who
will accept nothing less than z-series or Tandem-/Stratus-style end-to-end
hardware checking from the processor traces on out - which rules out most
environments that ZFS runs in (unless Sun's N-series telco products might fill
the bill:  I'm not very familiar with them).  And once you get down into users
of commodity processors, the risk level of using stable and robust file systems
that lack ZFS's additional integrity checks is comparable to the risk inherent
in the rest of the system (at least if the systems are carefully constructed,
which should be a given in an enterprise setting) - so other open-source
solutions are definitely in play there.

All things being equal, of course users would opt for even marginally higher
reliability - but all things are never equal.  If using ZFS would require
changing platforms or changing code, that's almost certainly a show-stopper for
enterprise users.  If using ZFS would compromise performance or require changes
in management practices (e.g., to accommodate file-system-level quotas), those
are at least significant impediments.  In other words, ZFS has its pluses and
minuses just as other open-source file systems do, and they *all* have the
potential to start edging out expensive proprietary solutions in *some*
applications (and in fact have already started to do so).

When we move from 'current' to 'potential' alternatives, the scope for
competition widens.  Because it's certainly possible to create a file system
that has all of ZFS's added reliability but runs faster, scales better,
incorporates additional useful features, and is easier to manage.  That
discussion is the one that would take a lot of time to delve into adequately
(and might be considered off topic for this forum - which is why I've tried to
concentrate here on improvements that ZFS could actually incorporate without
turning it upside down).

- bill