can you guess? wrote:> Vitesse VSC410

> Yes, it will help detect
> hardware faults as well if they happen to occur between RAM and the
> disk (and aren't otherwise detected - I'd still like to know whether
> the 'bad cable' experiences reported here occurred before ATA started
> CRCing its transfers), but while there's anecdotal evidence of such
> problems presented here it doesn't seem to be corroborated by the few
> actual studies that I'm familiar with, so that risk is difficult to
> quantify.

It may not have been a bad cable and it is a cheap highpoint card but I
was running the card in RAID0 and getting random corrupted bytes on
reads that went away when I switched to JBOD.  The data was fine on disk
but I would get a corrupted byte every 250-500MB and the only reason I
noticed was because I was using Unison to sync folders and it kept
reporting differences I knew shouldn't exist.  So "bad cable" type
things do happen and ZFS probably would have helped me notice it sooner.
 If I hadn't had another copy of the data I may have been able to still
recover it but only because most of the files where 1-1.5MB jpegs and
the errors moved around so I could have just copied a file repeatedly
until I got a good copy but that would have been a lot of work.

Jonathan