> Getting back to 'consumer' use for a moment, though,
> given that something like 90% of consumers entrust
> their PC data to the tender mercies of Windows, and a
> large percentage of those neither back up their data,
> nor use RAID to guard against media failures, nor
> protect it effectively from the perils of Internet
> infection, it would seem difficult to assert that
> whatever additional protection ZFS may provide would
> make any noticeable difference in the consumer space
> - and that was the kind of reasoning behind my
> comment that began this sub-discussion.

As a consumer at home, IT guy at work and amateur photographer, I think ZFS
will help change that.    Here's what I think photogs evolve through:

1) What are negatives? - Mom/dad taking holiday photos
2) Keep negatives in the envelope - average snapshot photog
3) Keep them filed in boxes - started snapping with a SLR? Might be doing
darkroom work
4) Get acid free boxes - pro/am.
5) Store slides in archival environment (humidity, temp, etc). - obsessive

In the digital world:
1) keeps them on the card until printed.  Only keeps the print
2) copies them to disk & erases them off the card.  Gets burned when system
disk dies
2a) puts them on CD/DVD. Gets burned a little when the disk dies and some
photos not on CD/DVDs yet.
3a) gets an external USB drive to store things.  Gets burned when that disk
dies.
3b) run raid in the box.
3c) gets an external RAID disk (buffalo/ReadyNAS, etc).
4) archives to multiple places.
etc...

5) gets ZFS and does transfer direct to local disk from flash card.

Today I can build a Solaris file server for a reasonable price with off the
shelf parts ($300 + disks).  I can't get near that for a WAFL based system.
The only WAFL I can get is only on networked storage which fails 5) for the
obsessed.

I can see ZFS coming to ready made networked RAID box that a pro-am
photographer could purchase.  I don't ever see that with WAFL.  And either FS
on a network RAID box will be less error prone then a box running ext3/xfs as
is typical now.

And that's what the ZFS hype is about IMO.

As for a the viability of buying one of the boxes, look at what a pro-am
photographer might buy.  I bought a Nikon D100 for $1600 when it came up.  A
new lens for $500 and I'm interested in $1000 lenses.  Tripod, flash, etc.  I
spent lots of $$ to capture the images.  I'll spend similar to keep them.