can you guess? wrote:

>> was running the card in RAID0 and getting random
>> corrupted bytes on
>> reads that went away when I switched to JBOD.
>>

> Then it kind of sounds like a card problem rather than a cable problem.
>
> Perhaps there's a very basic definition issue here:  when I use the term
> 'consumer', I'm referring to the people who buy a computer and never open up
> the case, not to people who fool around with RAID cards.  I'm referring to
> people who would likely say "What?" if you referred to Linux.  I'm referring
> to people who would be extremely unlikely to be found participating in this
> forum.
>
> In other words, to the overwhelming majority of PC users, who don't want to
> hear anything that suggests that they might have to become more intimately
> involved with their computer in order to make it better (let alone 'better'
> in the relatively marginal and fairly abstruse ways that ZFS would).

Statistically there are a lot of them.  But I've known lots of
early-adopters with no professional computer background (one of them has
*since then* done some tech-writing work) who built machines from parts,
replaced motherboards, upgraded the processors in "non-upgradeable"
MACs, ran OS/2, even converted themselves to Linux, on their home
systems.  These are consumer users too.

> I'd include most Mac users as well, except that they've just suffered a major
> disruption to their world-view by being told that moving to the
> previously-despised Intel platform constitutes an *upgrade* - so if you can
> give them any excuse to think that ZFS is superior (and not available on
> Windows) they'll likely grab for it like desperate voyagers on the Titanic
> grabbed for life savers (hey, Steve's no dummy).

Long-time MAC users must be getting used to having their entire world
disrupted and having to re-buy all their software.  This is at least the
second complete flag-day (no forward or backwards compatibility) change
they've been through.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, [EMAIL PROTECTED]; http://dd-b.net/
Snapshots: http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/