Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008, Brandon High wrote:
>
>> Mirroring will provide a boost on reads, since the system to read from
>> both sides of the mirror. It will not provide an increase on writes,
>> since the system needs to wait for both halves of the mirror to
>> finish. It could be slightly slower than a single raid5.
>>

> Is anything really slower than a RAID5?

touche' :-)

> I am not sure if ZFS really has to wait for both sides of a mirror to
> finish, but even if it does, if there are enough VDEVs then ZFS can
> still proceed with writing.

This is actually an interesting question.  Lets put it in context.
In the bad old days, logical volume managers (eg SVM) sat
between a file system and physical disks.  When the file system
wrote a block to the pseudo-device, SVM would wait until the
data protection mechanism had committed before returning to
the file system.  For mirrors, this meant that both sides of the
mirror had committed to disk.  For RAID-5, it meant that the
data and its parity had been updated, which may have required
read-modify-write cycles.

ZFS is slightly different.  ZFS will queue I/Os to devices with
the redundant data being just another entry in the queue.  When
the transaction group commits, ZFS flushes everything to
persistent storage. In the mirror case, each side of the mirror
will be processing a queue and occasionally will be asked to
flush.

For normal writes, these won't seem very different.  For
synchronous (blocking) writes, they will be different.  In the
SVM case, the blocking write will wait until both sides of the
mirror have been written.  For ZFS, the blocking write will
wait until the write has been committed in the ZIL.  If you
do not use a separate ZIL log, then ZFS will seem similar to
the SVM case.  But if you do use a separate ZIL log, then
you can take advantage of the various write-latency optimized
storage devices.  You should be able to see a big win for ZFS
over the SVM case, especially for JBODs.
 -- richard