Carson Gaspar wrote:
> Brandon High wrote:
>

>> All I know is that the x4540 uses the LSI 1068e chipset, and that the
>> X4500 used the Marvell 88SX chipset. Since buyers of both of these
>> systems probably have an expectation that they'll well, work, I assume
>> that the drivers in Solaris should be relatively stable.
>>
>> If that's not the case, then I'd think Sun would want to address it.
>>

> *grumpy customer*
>
> Sadly, it is _not_ the case. And Sun is addressing it. They just aren't
> sharing with the rest of the class...
>
> If you running Solaris 10, as far as I can tell you _still_ need an IDR
> to have NCQ enabled on the marvell chipset in an X4500 without device
> resets, as Sun still hasn't released a patch that fixes the bug(s).
>
> I could be wrong, but Sun service keeps not answering our requests for
> clarification / a new U5 IDR.

Thats odd.  Ask them to look at the (internal) patches page for the
product where the details of patch releases for each OS release is
detailed as well as any firmware updates with schedules.  I would
post the URL here, but that would confuse some poor site out in
Internetland with a bunch of 404s.

> On the up side, it's fixed in OpenSolaris, and you can probably get an
> IDR if you have a support contract and scream loudly enough.

IDRs are a funny beast.  They might seem like patches to you or me,
but their lifecycle may lead to changes in another patch and then they
die.  After they die, then we really want to kill them in the wild.  This
is why you might have to scream loudly.  When the patches are available,
the SunAlerts and product patch site will also be updated.
 -- richard