I'm working on testing this some more by doing a savecore -L right
after I start the copy.

BTW, I'm copying to a raidz2 of only 5 disks, not 16 (the chassis
supports 16, but isn't fully populated).

So far as I know, there is no spinup happening - these are not RAID
controllers, just dumb SATA JBOD controllers, so I don't think they
control drive spin in any particular way.  Correct me if I'm wrong, of
course.