On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Ian Collins <i...@ianshome.com> wrote:
> Brent Jones wrote:
>>
>> On the sending side, I CAN kill the ZFS send process, but the remote
>> side leaves its processes going, and I CANNOT kill -9 them. I also
>> cannot reboot the receiving system, at init 6, the system will just
>> hang trying to unmount the file systems.
>> I have to physically cut power to the server, but a couple days later,
>> this issue will occur again.
>>

> I have seen this on Solaris 10.  Something appears to break with a pool or
> filesystem causing zfs receive to hang in the kernel.  Once this happens,
> any zfs command that changes the state of the pool/filesystem will hang,
> including a zpool detach or an int 6.
>
> Can you get truss -p or mdb -p to work on the stuck process?
>
> --
> Ian.

I cannot.

# truss -p 11308
truss: unanticipated system error: 11308
(r...@pdxfilu02)-(06:29 PM Fri Jun 05)-(log)
# mdb -p 11308
mdb: cannot debug 11308: unanticipated system error
mdb: failed to initialize target: No such file or directory

All the hung zfs receives PID's have '1' as their PPID.
Is it safe to truss PID 1?  :)

When you saw this, how did you escape it? I've found only pulling the
plug will fix it.

--
Brent Jones
br...@servuhome.net