Hello,

I've looked around Google and the zfs-discuss archives but have not been able to find a good answer to this question (and the related questions that follow it):

How well does ZFS handle unexpected power failures? (e.g. environmental power failures, power supply dying, etc.)
Does it consistently gracefully recover?
Should having a UPS be considered a (strong) recommendation or a "don't even think about running without it" item? Are there any communications/interfacing caveats to be aware of when choosing the UPS?

In this particular case, we're talking about a home file server running OpenSolaris 2009.06. Actual environment power failures are generally < 1 per year. I know there are a few blog articles about this type of application, but I don't recall seeing any (or any detailed) discussion about power failures and UPSes as they relate to ZFS. I did see that the ZFS Evil Tuning Guide says cache flushes are done every 5 seconds.

Here is one post that didn't get any replies about a year ago after someone had a power failure, then UPS battery failure while copying data to a ZFS pool:
http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/zfs-discuss/2008-July/000670.html

Both theoretical answers and real life experiences would be appreciated as the former tells me where ZFS is needed while the later tells me where it has been or is now.

Thanks,

-hk