On Jun 30, 2009, at 14:08, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

I have seen UPSs help quite a lot for short glitches lasting seconds, or a minute. Otherwise the outage is usually longer than the UPSs can stay up since the problem required human attention.

A standby generator is needed for any long outages.

Can't remember where I read the claim, but supposedly if power isn't restored within about ten minutes, then it will probably be out for a few hours. If this 'statistic' is true, it would mean that your UPS should last (say) fifteen minutes, and after that you really need a generator.

At $WORK we currently have about thirty minutes worth of juice at full load, but as time drags on and we start shutting down less essential stuff we can increase that. The PBX and security system have their own UPSes in their own racks, so there are two layers of battery there.