On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Neal Pollack wrote:

Actually, they do quite a bit more than that. They create jobs, generate revenue for battery manufacturers, and tech's that change batteries and do PM maintenance on the large units. Let's not

It sounds like this is a responsibility which should be moved to the US federal goverment since UPSs create jobs.

In the last 28 years of doing this stuff, I've found a few times that the UPS has actually worked and lasted as long as the outage.

I have seen UPSs help quite a lot for short glitches lasting seconds, or a minute. Otherwise the outage is usually longer than the UPSs can stay up since the problem required human attention.

A standby generator is needed for any long outages.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn