On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Erik Trimble<erik.trim...@sun.com> wrote:
> Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Neal Pollack wrote:
>>
>>> Actually, they do quite a bit more than that. They create jobs, generate
>>> revenue for battery manufacturers, and tech's that change batteries and do
>>> PM maintenance on the large units.  Let's not
>>
>> It sounds like this is a responsibility which should be moved to the US
>> federal goverment since UPSs create jobs.
>>
> Actually, I think UPS already employs some 410,000+ people, making it the
> 3rd largest private employer in the USA. (5th overall, if you include the
> Federal Gov't and the US Postal Service).
>
> <wink>
>

>>> In the last 28 years of doing this stuff, I've found a few times that the
>>> UPS has actually worked and lasted as long as the outage.
>>
>> I have seen UPSs help quite a lot for short glitches lasting seconds, or a
>> minute.  Otherwise the outage is usually longer than the UPSs can stay up
>> since the problem required human attention.
>>
>> A standby generator is needed for any long outages.
>>
>> Bob
>> --
>> Bob Friesenhahn
>> bfrie...@simple.dallas.tx.us, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/
>> GraphicsMagick Maintainer,    http://www.GraphicsMagick.org/
>
> As someone who has spend enough time doing data center work, I can attest to
> the fact that UPSes are really useful only as extremely-short-interval
> solutions. A dozen or so minutes, at best.
>
> The best design I've see was for an old BBN (hey, remember them!) site just
> outside of Cambridge, MA.  It took in utility power, ran it through a
> conditioner setup, and then through this nice switch thing.  The switch took
> three inputs:  Utility, a local diesel generator, and a line of marine
> batteries.  The switch itself was internally redundant (which isn't hard to
> do, it's 50's tech), so you could draw power from any (or even all 3 at
> once).  Nothing really fancy; it was simple, with no semiconductor stuff to
> fail - just all 50-ish hardwired circuitry. I don't even think there was a
> transistor in the whole shebang. Lots of capacitors, though.   :-)
>

> The jist of the whole thing was, that if utility power was out more than 5
> minutes, there was not good predictor of how long it would remain out - I
> saw a nice little graph that showed no real good prediction of outage time
> based on existing outage length (i.e. if the power has been out X minutes,
> you can expect it to be restored in Y minutes...).   I suspect it was
> something like 20 years of accumulated data or so...
>
> The end of this is simple:  UPSes should give you enough time to start the
> gen-pack.  If you are having problems with your gen-pack, you'll never have
> enough UPS time to fix it (and, it's not cost-effective to try to make it
> so), so FIX YOUR GEN PACK BEFORE the outage.  Which means - TEST it, and
> TEST it, and TEST it again!

Slight corollary -- just because you have a generator and test it
doesn't mean you can assume you can get fuel in a timely manner (so
still be prepared to shutdown if needed).  I have seen places whose DR
plans completely rely on the assumption there will never be any
problems refueling their generators.  However, last year after Ike
hit, one of AT&T's central offices lost power because it ran out of
fuel (and couldn't get refilled in time).