>We're currently using the Sun bundled Samba to provide CIFS access to our
>ZFS user/group directories.

So why not the built-in CIFS support in OpenSolaris?  Probably has a
similar issue, but still.

>I found a bug in active directory integration mode, where if a user is in
>more than 32 active directory groups, samba calls setgroups with a group
>list of greater than 32, which fails, resulting in the user having
>absolutely no group privileges beyond their primary group.

That's not nice and that should be fixed even when the OS doesn't support
more than 32 bits.  How many groups do you want?

>They keep telling me that support for more than 32 groups in Solaris is not
>a bug, but rather an RFE. I completely agree -- I'm not asking for Solaris
>to support more than 32 groups (although, as an aside, it sure would be
>nice if it did -- 32 is pretty small nowadays; I doubt this will get fixed
>in Solaris 10, but anyone have any idea about possible progress on that in
>openSolaris?); all I'm asking is that samba be fixed so the user at
>least gets the first 32 groups they are in rather than none at all. That is
>the behavior of a local login or over NFS, the effective group privileges
>are that of the first 32 groups.

I'm actually working on fixing this in OpenSolaris and we may even
backport this to S10.

>Evidently the samba engineering group is in Prague. I don't know if it is a
>language problem, or where the confusion is coming from, but even after
>escalating this through our regional support manager, they are still
>refusing to fix this bug and claiming it is an RFE.

What's the bug number?

Casper