>Regarding Solaris 10, my understanding was that the current 32 group limit
>could only be changed by modifying internal kernel structures that would
>break backwards compatibility, which wouldn't happen because Solaris
>guarantees backwards binary compatibility. I could most definitely be
>mistaken though.

That's not entirely true; the issue is similar having more than 16 groups
as it breaks AUTH_SYS over-the-wire "authentication" but we already have
that now.

But see:

http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=114685

For now, we're aiming for 1024 groups but also make sure that the
userland will work without any dependencies.

>> What's the bug number?
>
>There is no bug number :(, as they refuse to classify it as a bug -- they
>keep insisting it is an RFE, and pointing towards the existing RFE #'s for
>increasing the number of groups supported by Solaris.

The "change request", then.  It must have a bug id.

>The service request is #71547904, although now that I think about it they
>haven't been keeping the ticket updated. I'll send you a copy of the thread
>I've had with the support engineers directly.
>
>Here's the patch I submitted. It adds three lines, one of which is blank
>8-/. I'm just really confused why they'd rather spend months arguing it
>isn't a bug rather than just spending five minutes applying this simple
>patch <sigh>. I'd just run the version I compiled locally, but it's fairly
>clear that the source code provided is not the same as the source code used
>to generate the production binary, so I'd really prefer an official fix.

Well, I can understand the sense of that.  (Not for OpenSolaris, but for
S10)  A backport cost a bit so perhaps that's what they want to avoid.

Casper