On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 09:20:23AM -0700, Paul B. Henson wrote:

> We're currently using the Sun bundled Samba to provide CIFS access to our
> ZFS user/group directories.
> Evidently the samba engineering group is in Prague. I don't know if it is a
> language problem, or where the confusion is coming from, but even after
> escalating this through our regional support manager, they are still
> refusing to fix this bug and claiming it is an RFE.

Havn't tested the bundle samba stuff for a "long" time, since I don't trust
it: The bundled stuff didn't work when tested; packages are IMHO
awefully assembled; Problems are not understood by the involved engineers
(or they are not willingly to understand); The team seems to follow the
dogma, fix the symptoms and not the root cause.

So at least if the bundled stuff is modified according to their RFEs on
bugzilla, don't be suprised, if your environment gets screwed up -
especially when you have a mixed users group, i.e. Windows and *ix based
user, which are using workgroup directories for sharing their stuff.

So we still use the original samba and it causes no headaches. Once
we had a problem when switching some desktops to Vista, MS Office 2007
due to the new win strategy "save changes to a tmp file, than rename to
the original file" -> wrong ACLs, however this has been fixed within
ONE DAY: Just did some code scanning, talked to Jeremy Allison via smb IRC
channel and viola, he came up with a fix pretty fast. So I didn't need
to waste my time explaining the problem again and again to SUN support,
creating explorer archives, which usually hang the NFS services which
couldn't be fixed without a reboot!, and waiting several months to get
it fixed (BTW: IIRC, I opened a case for this via sun support, so if it
hasn't be silently closed, its probably still open ...).

Since we guess, that CIFS gets screwed up by the same team, we don't use
it either (well, and can't because we've no ADS ;-)).

My 10ยข.

Regards,
jel.
--
Otto-von-Guericke University     http://www.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/
Department of Computer Science   Geb. 29 R 027, Universitaetsplatz 2