On 04/02/2010 11:54, Roshan Perera wrote:
Anyone in the group using ZFS compression on clearcase vobs? If so any issues,
gotchas?

There shouldn't be any issues and I'd be very surprised if there was.

IBM support informs that ZFS compression is not supported. Any views on this?

Need more data on why the claim it isn't supported - what issue have they seen or do they thing there could be. I see no reason that ZFS compression wouldn't be supported, in fact Clearcase shouldn't even be able to tell.

Compression in ZFS is completely below the POSIX filesystem layer and completely out of the control of any application or even kernel service like NFS or CIFS that just uses POSIX interfaces. Same is true of deduplication and will be true of encryption when it integrates as well.

--
Darren J Moffat