On 04/02/2010 12:42, Darren J Moffat wrote:
On 04/02/2010 12:13, Roshan Perera wrote:
Hi Darren,

Thanks - IBM basically haven't test clearcase with ZFS compression
therefore, they don't support currently. Future may change, as such
my customer cannot use compression. I have asked IBM for roadmap info
to find whether/when it will be supported.

That is FUD generation in my opinion and being overly cautious.  The
whole point of the POSIX interfaces to a filesystem is that
applications don't actually care how the filesystem stores their data.

I agree (*). It is very similar to what EMC did some years ago by officially stating that while ZFS is supported on their disk arrays ZFS snapshots are not. Even more "funny".

(*) - however compression is not entirely transparent in such a sense that a reported disk space usage might not be exactly what application expects. But I'm not saying it is an issue here - I honestly don't know.

--
Robert Milkowski
http://milek.blogspot.com