On 04/02/2010 12:13, Roshan Perera wrote:
Hi Darren,

Thanks - IBM basically haven't test clearcase with ZFS compression therefore,
they don't support currently. Future may change, as such my customer cannot use
compression. I have asked IBM for roadmap info to find whether/when it will be
supported.

That is FUD generation in my opinion and being overly cautious. The whole point of the POSIX interfaces to a filesystem is that applications don't actually care how the filesystem stores their data.

UFS never had checksums before but ZFS adds those, but that didn't mean that applications had to be checked because checksums were now done on the data.

What if it was the disk drive that was doing the compression ? There would be similarly no way for the application to actually know that it is happening.

What about every other feature we add to ZFS ? Like dedup (which is a type of compression) - again they app can't tell. Or snapshots - the app can't tell.

Thats my opinion though and I know that ISVs can be very cautious about new features sometimes and overly so when it is far below their parts of the stack.

Taking another example it would be like an ISV that supports their application running over NFS saying they don't support a certain type of vendors switch in the network because they haven't tested it.

--
Darren J Moffat