On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, Darren J Moffat wrote:

Thanks - IBM basically haven't test clearcase with ZFS compression therefore, they don't support currently. Future may change, as such my customer cannot use compression. I have asked IBM for roadmap info to find whether/when it will be supported.

That is FUD generation in my opinion and being overly cautious. The whole point of the POSIX interfaces to a filesystem is that applications don't actually care how the filesystem stores their data.

Clearcase itself implements a versioning filesystem so perhaps it is not being overly cautious. Compression could change aspects such as how free space is reported.

As I recall, Clearcase maintains a database (on top of a filesystem) on a central server to store the actual data. When a user checks out a view of the files, the user views the files via a versioning filesystem, which stores a cache of those file on the local system. Clearcase intruments access to its versioning filesystem so it knows all of the actions which resulted in a built object. This means that there are two places (server and client) where zfs may be involved.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn