On Mar 25, 2010, at 6:13 AM, Damon Atkins wrote:
> In the "Thoughts on ZFS Pool Backup Strategies thread" it was stated that zfs
> send, sends uncompress data and uses the ARC.
>
> If "zfs send" sends uncompress data which has already been compress this is
> not very efficient, and it would be *nice* to see it send the original
> compress data. (or an option to do it)
>
> I thought I would ask a true or false type questions mainly for curiosity
> sake.
>
> If "zfs send" uses standard ARC cache (when something is not already in the
> ARC) I would expect this to hurt (to some degree??) the performance of the
> system. (ie I assume it has the effect of replacing current/useful data in
> the cache with not very useful/old data depending on how large the ZFS send
> is)

If you restrict answers to "true/false" then the answer is false :-)
Actually, the answer is mostly false. The ARC is divided into a most
frequently used cache and a most recently used cache. The send
data should stick to the most recently used side.

> If above true,  zfs send and “zfs backup” (if it the cmd existed to backup
> and restore a file or set of files with all ZFS attributes) would improve the
> performance of normal read/write by avoiding the ARC cache (or if easier to
> implement having its own private ARC cache).

The zio pipeline can, in theory, be tapped between the checksum and
decompression side, but I think you will find that this defeats both piped
compression and receive compression.

> Or does it use the same sort of code, as setting “primarycache=none” on a
> file system.
>
> Has anyone monitored ARC hit rates while doing a large zfs send?

Yes.  I see very good ARC hit rates when I send from a high transaction
system. This is a good thing because recently written data is likely to be
in the ARC.
 -- richard

ZFS storage and performance consulting at http://www.RichardElling.com
ZFS training on deduplication, NexentaStor, and NAS performance
Las Vegas, April 29-30, 2010 http://nexenta-vegas.eventbrite.com