On Fri, March 26, 2010 09:46, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

> I don't know that it makes sense to.  There are lots of existing filter
> packages that do compression; so if you want compression, just put them in
> your pipeline.  That way you're not limited by what zfs send has
> implemented, either.  When they implement bzip98 with a new compression
> technology breakthrough, you can just use it :-) .

Actually a better example may be using parallel implementations of popular
algorithms:

    http://www.zlib.net/pigz/
    http://www.google.com/search?q=parallel+bzip

Given the amount of cores we have nowadays (especially the Niagara-based
CPUs), might as well use them. There are also better algorithms out there
(some of which assume parallelism):

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xz
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7z

If you're using OpenSSH, there are also some third-party patches that may
help in performance:

    http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/

However, if the data is already compressed (and/or deduped), there's no
sense in doing it again. If ZFS does have to go to disk, might as well
send the data as-is.