On Fri, March 26, 2010 07:06, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
>> In the "Thoughts on ZFS Pool Backup Strategies thread" it was stated
>> that zfs send, sends uncompress data and uses the ARC.
>>
>> If "zfs send" sends uncompress data which has already been compress
>> this is not very efficient, and it would be *nice* to see it send the
>> original compress data. (or an option to do it)
>
> You've got 2 questions in your post.  The one above first ...
>
> It's true that "zfs send" sends uncompressed data.  So I've heard.  I
> haven't tested it personally.
>
> I seem to remember there's some work to improve this, but not available
> yet.  Because it was easier to implement the uncompressed send, and that
> already is super-fast compared to all the alternatives.

I don't know that it makes sense to.  There are lots of existing filter
packages that do compression; so if you want compression, just put them in
your pipeline.  That way you're not limited by what zfs send has
implemented, either.  When they implement bzip98 with a new compression
technology breakthrough, you can just use it :-) .

--
David Dyer-Bennet, d...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info