fyi, everyone, I have some more info here.  in short, rich lowe's 142 works
correctly (fast) on my hardware, while both my compilations (snv 143, snv 144)
and also the nexanta 3 rc2 kernel (134 with backports) are horribly slow.

I finally got around to trying rich lowe's snv 142 compilation in place of
my own compilation of 143 (and later 144, not mentioned below), and unlike
my own two compilations, his works very fast again on my same zpool (
scrubbing avg increased from low 100s to over 400 MB/s within a few
minutes after booting into this copy of 142.  I should note that since
my original message, I also tried booting from a Nexanta Core 3.0 RC2 ISO
after realizing it had zpool 26 support backported into 134 and was in
fact able to read my zpool despite upgrading the version.  Running a
scrub from the F2 shell on the Nexanta CD was also slow scrubbing, just
like the 143 and 144 that I compiled.  So, there seem to be two possibilities.
Either (and this seems unlikely) there is a problem introduced post-142 which
slows things down, and it occured in 143, 144, and was brought back to 134
with Nexanta's backports, or else (more likely) there is something different
or wrong with how I'm compiling the kernel that makes the hardware not
perform up to its specifications with a zpool, and possibly the Nexanta 3
RC2 ISO has the same problem as my own compilations.

Chad