If I can help narrow the variables, I compiled both 137 and 144 (137 is minimum
req. to build 144) using the same recommended compiler and lint, nightly
options etc. 137 works fine but 144 suffer the slowness reported. System wise,
I'm using only the 32bit non-debug version in an "old" single-core/thread
pentium-m laptop.

What I notice is that the zpool_$pool daemon had a lot more threads (total 136,
iirc), so something changed there but not necessarily related to the problem.
It also seems to be issuing a lot more writing to rpool, though I can't tell
what. In my case it causes a lot of read contention since my rpool is a USB
flash device with no cache. iostat says something like up to 10w/20r per
second. Up to 137 the performance has been enough, so far, for my purposes on
this laptop.