On 2/16/2011 8:08 AM, Richard Elling wrote:
On Feb 16, 2011, at 7:38 AM, white...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi, I have a very limited amount of bandwidth between main office and a colocated rack of
servers in a managed datacenter. My hope is to be able to zfs send/recv small incremental
changes on a nightly basis as a secondary offsite backup strategy. My question is about
the initial "seed" of the data. Is it possible to use a portable drive to copy
the initial zfs filesystem(s) to the remote location and then make the subsequent
incrementals over the network? If so, what would I need to do to make sure it is an exact
copy? Thank you,
Yes, and this is a good idea. Once you have replicated a snapshot, it will be an
exact replica -- it is an all-or-nothing operation.  You can then make more
replicas
or incrementally add snapshots.
  -- richard

To follow up on Richard's post, what you want to do is a perfectly good way to deal with moving large amounts of data via Sneakernet. :-)

I'd suggest that you create a full zfs filesystem on the external drive, and use 'zfs send/receive' to copy a snapshot from the production box to there, rather than try to store just a file from the output of 'zfs send'. You can then 'zfs send/receive' that backup snapshot from the external drive onto your remote backup machine when you carry the drive over there later.

As Richard mentioned, that snapshot is unique, and it doesn't matter that you "recovered" it onto an external drive first, then copied that snapshot over to the backup machine. It's a frozen snapshot, so you're all good for future incrementals.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support