On 07 September, 2011 - Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk sent me these 2,0K bytes:

> > http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1397/~/difference-between-desktop-edition-and-raid-%28enterprise%29-edition-drives
>
> "When an error is found on a desktop edition hard drive, the drive will enter
> into a deep recovery cycle to attempt to repair the error, recover the data
> from the problematic area, and then reallocate a dedicated area to replace
> the problematic area. This process can take up to 2 minutes depending on the
> severity of the issue...."
>
> Or in other words: "When an error occurs on a desktop drive, the drive will
> refuse to realize the sector is bad, and retry forever ...."

The common use for desktop drives is having a single disk without
redundancy.. If a sector is feeling bad, it's better if it tries a bit
harder to recover it than just say "blah, there was a bit of dirt in the
corner.. I don't feel like looking at it, so I'll just say your data is
screwed instead".. In a raid setup, that data is sitting safe(?) on some
other disk as well, so it might as well give up early.

So don't use desktop drives in raid and don't use raid disks in a
desktop setup. Ofcourse, this is just a config setting - but it's still
reality.

/Tomas
--
Tomas Forsman, st...@acc.umu.se, http://www.acc.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student at Computing Science, University of UmeƄ