On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 5:00 AM, Peter Tribble <peter.trib...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Personally, I use zfs send and zfs receive to replicate the data to
> a second system, and then simply tar the replicated file system
> to tape. That way I'm not dependent on zfs to get the data back
> (and can get individual files/directories back if necessary, which
> it often is). And you have the ability to slot that copy of the data
> instantly into service if the primary copy fails.

tar or rsync will work for data, but you will lose any ACLs

The only tools I have found that work with zfs ACLs are the native zfs
tools (zfs send / recv), the native Solaris tools (cp, mv, etc.), and
Symantec NetBackup. I have not tried other commercial backup systems
as we already have NBU in house.

zfs send / recv is far, far faster than NBU.

Paul Kraus
-> Senior Systems Architect, Garnet River ( http://www.garnetriver.com/ )
-> Sound Designer: Frankenstein, A New Musical
-> Sound Coordinator, Schenectady Light Opera Company (
http://www.sloctheater.org/ )
-> Technical Advisor, RPI Players