Concerning native Solaris tools:

Solaris tar takes a 'p' flag that stores ACL information, and
re-creates same when extracted.  I've not made much use of it yet,
but it apparently works on UFS and ZFS (although there are obvious
difficulties restoring ZFS ACLs to UFS, etc.)

Gtar on Linux extracts the resulting tar file, but doesn't know
what to do with the ACL entries.

Current versions of Amanda support a 'suntar' backup type.  Haven't
explored that yet, but Amanda might be useful.

Bryan

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 08:41:37AM -0400, Paul Kraus wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 5:00 AM, Peter Tribble <peter.trib...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Personally, I use zfs send and zfs receive to replicate the data to
> > a second system, and then simply tar the replicated file system
> > to tape. That way I'm not dependent on zfs to get the data back
> > (and can get individual files/directories back if necessary, which
> > it often is). And you have the ability to slot that copy of the data
> > instantly into service if the primary copy fails.
>
> tar or rsync will work for data, but you will lose any ACLs
>
> The only tools I have found that work with zfs ACLs are the native zfs
> tools (zfs send / recv), the native Solaris tools (cp, mv, etc.), and
> Symantec NetBackup. I have not tried other commercial backup systems
> as we already have NBU in house.
>
> zfs send / recv is far, far faster than NBU.
>
> --
> {--------1---------2---------3---------4---------5---------6---------7---------}
> Paul Kraus
> -> Senior Systems Architect, Garnet River ( http://www.garnetriver.com/ )
> -> Sound Designer: Frankenstein, A New Musical
> (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=123170297765140)
> -> Sound Coordinator, Schenectady Light Opera Company (
> http://www.sloctheater.org/ )
> -> Technical Advisor, RPI Players

Bryan Hodgson                       Lehigh University
bryan.hodg...@lehigh.edu            Packard Lab 019 room 115
610-758-5001                        19 Memorial Drive West
                                    Bethlehem, PA 18015-3016