> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Todd Urie
> Use zpool status -v to see if any errors come up.  Then you can use zpool
> scrub to remove at least some of them.  I have had luck with this in the

Disks are made of chemicals, which can degrade over time.  If some part of a
disk starts to deteriorate, but you never attempt to read it, then you'll
never know it's going bad.  You should have redundancy, and scrub on a
regular basis, much more frequently than the occurrence of a disk going bad
- maybe once a week or once a month.

If you can afford to scrub daily, that's great.  Depending on your system
and your data, scrubs might take several hours, thus making it impractical
to scrub daily.