This is a very nice chasis IMHO for a desktop machine:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/743/SC743TQ-865-SQ.cfm

I use it for my workstation at work. Supermicro makes very high quality chasis. I got this for under $300 USD when I bought mine. You can also get rails and take off its feet and it can double as a 4u rackmount case which is cool as well. Will take EATX (server boards) and 8 hot swap disks with SATA/SAS backplain.

Very quiet and keeps disks cool. My drives in normal office temp are 34C coolest and 36C hottest so very reasonable temps. I use it with an X8DTH motherboard and 24 GB of ram and 6 core xeon CPU. Also dual gtx 260 video cards (to drive my 3 monitors that need four DVI links to run).

Only during long periods of gaming would the machine ramp up its PSU fan (and actually get what I would consider not extremely quiet) and was otherwise nearly silent during regular usage.