On 2012-Apr-14 02:30:54 +1000, Tim Cook <t...@cook.ms> wrote:
>You will however have an issue replacing them if one should fail.  You need to
>have the same block count to replace a device, which is why I asked for a
>"right-sizing" years ago.

The "traditional" approach this is to slice the disk yourself so you have a
slice size with a known area and a dummy slice of a couple of GB in case a
replacement is a bit smaller.  Unfortunately, ZFS on Solaris disables the drive
cache if you don't give it a complete disk so this approach incurs as
significant performance overhead there.  FreeBSD leaves the drive cache enabled
in either situation.  I'm not sure how OI or Linux behave.

Peter Jeremy