On 10/20/2012 01:10 AM, Tim Cook wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Arne Jansen <sensi...@gmx.net
> <mailto:sensi...@gmx.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/19/2012 09:58 PM, Matthew Ahrens wrote:
>     > On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 5:29 AM, Arne Jansen <sensi...@gmx.net
>     <mailto:sensi...@gmx.net>
>     > <mailto:sensi...@gmx.net <mailto:sensi...@gmx.net>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >     We have finished a beta version of the feature. A webrev for it
>     >     can be found here:
>     >
>     >     http://cr.illumos.org/~webrev/sensille/fits-send/
>     >
>     >     It adds a command 'zfs fits-send'. The resulting streams can
>     >     currently only be received on btrfs, but more receivers will
>     >     follow.
>     >     It would be great if anyone interested could give it some testing
>     >     and/or review. If there are no objections, I'll send a formal
>     >     webrev soon.
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > Please don't bother changing libzfs (and proliferating the copypasta
>     > there) -- do it like lzc_send().
>     >

>     ok. It would be easier though if zfs_send would also already use the
>     new style. Is it in the pipeline already?
>
>     > Likewise, zfs_ioc_fits_send should use the new-style API.  See the
>     > comment at the beginning of zfs_ioctl.c.
>     >
>     > I'm not a fan of the name "FITS" but I suppose somebody else already
>     > named the format.  If we are going to follow someone else's format
>     > though, it at least needs to be well-documented.  Where can we
>     find the
>     > documentation?
>     >
>     > FYI, #1 google hit for "FITS":  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FITS
>     > #3 hit:  http://code.google.com/p/fits/
>     >
>     > Both have to do with file formats.  The entire first page of google
>     > results for "FITS format" and "FITS file format" are related to these
>     > two formats.  "FITS btrfs" didn't return anything specific to the file
>     > format, either.
>
>     It's not too late to change it, but I have a hard time coming up with
>     some better name. Also, the format is still very new and I'm sure it'll
>     need some adjustments.
>
>     -arne
>
>     >
>     > --matt
>

> I'm sure we can come up with something.  Are you planning on this being
> solely for ZFS, or a larger architecture for replication both directions
> in the future?

We have senders for zfs and btrfs. The planned receiver will be mostly
filesystem agnostic and can work on a much broader range. It basically
only needs to know how to create snapshots and where to store a few
meta informations.
It would be great if more filesystems would join on the sending side,
but I have no involvement there.

I see no basic problem in choosing a name that's already in use.
Especially with file extensions most will be already taken. How about
something with 'portable' and 'backup', like pib or pibs? 'i' for
incremental.

-Arne