I am looking at the performance numbers for the Oracle VDI admin guide.

From my calculations for 200 desktops running Windows 7 knowledge user (15 iops) with a 30-70 read/write split it comes to 5100 iops. Using 7200 rpm disks the requirement will be 68 disks.

This doesn't seem right, because if you are using clones with caching, you should be able to easily satisfy your reads from ARC and L2ARC. As well, Oracle VDI by default caches writes; therefore the writes will be coalesced and there will be no ZIL activity.

Anyone have other guidelines on what they are seeing for iops with vdi?

Happy New Year!