Jim Klimov wrote:
On 2013-01-23 09:41, casper....@oracle.com wrote:
Yes and no: the system reserves a lot of additional memory (Solaris
doesn't over-commits swap) and swap is needed to support those
reservations.  Also, some pages are dirtied early on and never touched
again; those pages should not be kept in memory.

I believe, by the symptoms, that this is what happens often
in particular to Java processes (app-servers and such) - I do
regularly see these have large "VM" sizes and much (3x) smaller
"RSS" sizes.

Being swapped out is probably the best thing that can be done to most Java processes :)