Edward Ned Harvey (opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris) writes:
> Anybody using maczfs / ZEVO?  Have good or bad things to say, in
> terms of reliability, performance, features?

I use it on and off for data exchange between a MacBook Pro, some iMacs,
and various Solarisoid systems.  I do this with single-disk pools on
external drives, connected via eSATA to Solaris servers and via USB to
the MacBook Pro.

It works.

There is just one outrageously brain-damaged idiocy, and that is
the installer.  I have one iMac that only has 3 GB RAM.  The installer
flatly refuses to install on that box because it insists on a minimum
of 4 GB.  It cannot guarantee stable performance for a single-disk pool
with only 3 GB of memory.  What a load of crap.  If that had been the
first box I installed it on, I would have ditched it then and there.

I signed up to the ZEVO community forum and saw that other users had
already complained about that problem, but it seems neither an official
fix nor a workaround is available.

ZEVO is free, and Greenbytes are entitled to release it in whatever
form they want, but I found that restriction remarkably stupid.

Best regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: v...@bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"