By default, creating a zvol will reserve space equal to its volume size. You
can avoid that by passing “-s” to the zfs create command; however, note that
the amount of space left in the parent will not be passed through to whatever
FS you create on the zvol, so bad things happen when the parent fills up to a
point where it’s got less space left than the FS on the zvol thinks it has.