On 7 June 2010 13:19, Jaap Karssenberg <jaap.karssenb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think we need further discussion how and when to allow wiki syntax
> and when to assume verbatim text. I really want to keep the feature
> that you can write wiki syntax directly into zim without the need for
> all the gui elements to do formatting. I don't want to simply remove
> this feature.

Agreed.

> Also just adding an option to switch this feature off is
> no real solution as it does not give much control and basically has
> the same result as removing the feature.

How about a toolbar icon toggle (like the Show Index and Edit Page
icons) and a keyboard shortcut? Then it's less of an "option" and more
of a "feature".

> Since your case seems to be especially about pasting code snippets,
> one solution could be to paste blocks of text as verbatim paragraphs.
> E.g. have a "paste as verbatim" menu item, and add an option to paste
> as verbatim by default.

The thing is that I don't want my code snippets in "verbatim"
formatting. If for no other reason (and there are other reasons), I
don't like the fixed-width font.

> However such options may be unintelligible to less technical users,
> but not sure about that.

No more than any of the other options. I think that it is quite clear,
and I'm the first to cry if something is not intuitive!

> Ideally I would like a proposal that results in doing the right thing
> in all cases without forcing the user to go through an elaborate set
> of customization options.

Of course, do it once and do it right. That is why I think that the
toolbar option may be best.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il