Grampa Bill wrote:

> From: "Marc A. Schindler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> > I understand the point of your analogy. What I am trying to point out is that your
>rich uncle *hasn't* left money and other goodies with anyone except for one kid, the
>block bully, who steals all the other kids' lunch money.
> --------------------
> Grampa Bill responds:
>      Your addition to my analogy is germane. I suppose the crux of the matter is
>whether, on average, the "typical" African is better off or worse off as a result of
>western interference. My guess is that he is better off.

My experience is that he is not. As Mark has suggested, if you look at the history of
the Belgian Congo -- at one time the personal fiefdom of King Leopold of Belgium --
you'll be truly horrified at the cruelty Westerners imposed on that country. The same
can be said, more or less, about almost any African country you care to name.

> Certainly the crumbs did not fall evenly. And there might be a few who are actually
>worse off, but on average, I believe the colonial powers improved the lot of most
>Africans even if that was not their intention.

I appreciate that we may have to agree to disagree, but if you have any evidence to
support this I'd be interested in it. It flies in the face of all my experience in
Africa. In addition, you might find "The Dawning of a Brighter Day" by Elder Alexander
Morrison, useful, especially the chapter "The Giant Behind the Veil," where he briefly
describes the history of Africa, noting the reports of very early visitors that
African cities
were at least the equal of European cities but that thanks to colonization and other
factors, the wealth is now very unevenly distributed and most cities are inhabited
mostly by the very poor. I'm not pulling rank, as it were, by quoting a him as a GA,
but based on his experience as an Africa expert. Before his call to the 2Q70 he was an
assistant deputy minister in Canada's ministry of health, and was seconded several
times to the
World Health Organisation for work in Africa. He is an expert in infectious diseases
in particular and has been to Africa many times. After his calling he paved the way
for the opening of many African countries to the Church.

> Love y'all,
> Grampa Bill

Art does not reproduce what we see. Rather, it makes us see. – Paul Klee

Note: This communication represents the informal personal views of the author solely;
its contents do not necessarily reflect those of the author’s employer, nor those of
any organization with which the author may be associated.