I used to have (till my kids destroyed it--sadly) a fairly large comparison
Bible which contained about 7 different versions (none of the modern
watered down versions) of the Bible, and if I recall correctly a couple of
translations from the original Hebrew and Greek. Joseph Smith once stated
that he preferred the Hebrew language Bible (at least for the Old Testament
as I understand that most of the New Testament was translated from Greek).
Now I have studied a smattering of Hebrew and know that a lot can get left
out of the translation--just as happens with just about every translation
from one language to another. What I would like to see is an LDS version as
close as possible to the original meaning as possible. For instance, I
believe a lot of subtle nuances, idiomatic expressions, plays on words,
etc., are left out of translations unless efforts are made to at least
footnote and document these instances.

--
Steven Montgomery