Those used to be very popular in "olden days," and by "olden days" I mean going
back to the earliest Church fathers. One of them (and I'm not going to try to find
his name in my memory but I think it was Origen) put together a "Hexapla" which
means 6 versions, 3 columns per page, so you'd have all six versions spread across
an open folio sheet. I guess 7 versions would be called a "Heptla"?

The original Hexapla had, iirc, the Old Latin version (from which Jerome would
later produce the Vulgate), the Septuagint *tradition* in Greek which was the
Christian Bible at that time (kind of a long story, that), and I can't remember
what the other ones were.

Steven Montgomery wrote:

> I used to have (till my kids destroyed it--sadly) a fairly large comparison
> Bible which contained about 7 different versions (none of the modern
> watered down versions) of the Bible, and if I recall correctly a couple of
> translations from the original Hebrew and Greek. Joseph Smith once stated
> that he preferred the Hebrew language Bible (at least for the Old Testament
> as I understand that most of the New Testament was translated from Greek).
> Now I have studied a smattering of Hebrew and know that a lot can get left
> out of the translation--just as happens with just about every translation
> from one language to another. What I would like to see is an LDS version as
> close as possible to the original meaning as possible. For instance, I
> believe a lot of subtle nuances, idiomatic expressions, plays on words,
> etc., are left out of translations unless efforts are made to at least
> footnote and document these instances.

This is, incidentally, exactly what we're trying to do with our LDS Study Bible.
You're right about the nuances. I'll give you an example which I wrote, but not for
the LDS Study Bible, but for FAIR -- a 1-page monograph on Matthew 22:23-30. It
turns out that the criticism of eternal marriage by using the account of the
Sadducees and Christ and the woman with 7 husbands hinges on an ambiguity in
English (and most other modern European languages, so far as I know) and NT Greek,
where there is no ambiguity:
http://www.fairlds.org/apol/brochures/EternalMarriage.pdf (see section 3, "Original
Language")

> [...]
> >Thiselton, a fairly respectable conservative Protestant scholar. The book
> >is 1450
> >pp long.
> >
> >While he admits that 15:29 (the verse on vicarious baptism) is "a notoriously
> >difficult crux: the most 'hotly disputed' in the epistle,..." he summarizes a
> >grand total of roughly 20 possible interpretations. All *possible*
> >interpretations, that is, except the right one, and the most direct one.
> >This guy
> >gets the Biblicist Pretzel Award nomination from me this year, I gotta
> >tell you.
> >
> >We need stuff that, while it may not be on that level wrt scholarship (for one
> >thing the market would be limited), at least gives LDS a basic level of
> >understanding that the Gospel isn't only true and that the only way to
> >know that
> >is through spiritual means, oh by the way, it just happens to make sense, too,
> >and you don't have to be ashamed or cowed by intellectuals.
> >
> >Gary Smith wrote:
> >
> > > I don't think they are actually changing the words. What they are doing,
> > > is putting a lot of textual information on the original Aramaic and
> > > Greek, and discussing certain ideas within the NT from an LDS apologetics
> > > point of view. This one won't be to replace your LDS scriptures. This one
> > > will be for home use, where you can get a better understanding of what
> > > each verse _really_ means. So, you get the KJV, and the scholarly
> > > commentary.
> > >
> > > If you've hung out in any Christian bookstores, you'll find similar
> > > books. My favorite amongst them has been the Scofield Bible, though it is
> > > quite an older commentary. Marc, which versions do you prefer?
> > >
> > > K'aya K'ama,
> > > Gerald/gary  Smith    gszion1 @juno.com    http://www
> > > .geocities.com/rameumptom/index.html
> > > "No one is as hopelessly enslaved as the person who thinks he's free."  -
> > > Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
> > >

> >--
> >Marc A. Schindler
> >Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada -- Gateway to the Boreal Parkland
> >
> >"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and
> >falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."
> >--Michelangelo Buonarroti
> >
> >Note: This communication represents the informal personal views of the author
> >solely; its contents do not necessarily reflect those of the author's
> >employer,
> >nor those of any organization with which the author may be associated.

> >///  ZION LIST CHARTER: Please read it at  ///
> >///  http://www.zionsbest.com/charter.html      ///

"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling
short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."

solely; its contents do not necessarily reflect those of the authorís employer, nor
those of any organization with which the author may be associated.