At 07:46 AM 10/15/2002, Paul wrote:

>Well, you know me--I'm NOT into conspiracy theories at all. Wasn't it so
>that Elder Benson was all alone in his campaign or which of the other
>apostles stood by his side and declared the same message? You know what I
>mean--two or three witnesses. Was his campaign overseen by the First
>Presidency including the one he belonged to? I don't believe it was.

Below are six statements from President Ezra Taft Benson regarding a world-
wide conspiracy that is increasing its evil influence and control over
America and the entire world. These warnings have come to us from God
through His living prophet. All six statements came after his call in 1985
to be President of the Church. They cannot be safely ignored. Without an
understanding of these prophetic warnings, we cannot correctly interpret
national and world events. President Benson's apostolic statements during
the 42 years prior to his becoming President of the Church are also helpful
as we seek to understand his prophetic statements on this important
subject. Many of these apostolic statements were "keynote" addresses made
with the full support, advice, and even explicit recommendation by
President David O. McKay. Need two witnesses? Add David O. McKay as a
second witness. During this time Elder Benson gave 15 General Conference
addresses
and President McKay, over a dozen on freedom, free enterprise, fiscal
responsibility, the Constitution, and agency. They invariably tied these
topics into showing the evils of secret combinations. (Sheri Dew, Ezra Taft
Benson: A Biography, Deseret Book, 1987, pp. 366,367.) Finally, God does
not call as Prophets men who teach false doctrine.

1. Secret Combinations

 Oct. 1986: "From the Book of Mormon we see the evils of secret
combinations portrayed in graphic and chilling reality . . . . "We should
constantly ask ourselves, 'Why did the Lord inspire Mormon (or Moroni or
Alma) to include that in his record? What lesson can I learn from that to
help me live in this day and age?'" (Conference Report, Oct. 1986, Ensign,
Nov. 1986, pp. 6-7; also The Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, p. 59.)

 April 1989: "Secret combinations . . . are built up to get power, gain,
and glory of the world. (See Hel. 7:5; Ether 8:9, 16, 22-23; Moses 5:31.) .
. . Secret combinations brought down both the Jaredite and the Nephite
civilizations and [have] been and will yet be the cause of the fall of many
nations. (See Ether 8:18-25.)" (Conference Report, Oct. 1989, Ensign, May
1989, p. 6.)

 Jan. 1988: "The situation in the world will continue to degenerate unless
we read and heed the words of God and quit building up and upholding secret
combinations, which the Book of Mormon tells us proved the downfall of
ancient civilizations." ("The Book of Mormon Is the Word of God," Ensign,
Jan. 1988, p. 5.)

 April 1986: "Our nation will continue to degenerate unless we read and
heed the words of the God of this land, Jesus Christ, and quit building up
and upholding the secret combinations which the Book of Mormon tells us
proved the downfall of both previous American civilizations." ("The Book of
Mormon Is the Word of God," Regional Representative Seminar, Friday, April
4, 1986, pp. 3-4; as quoted in The Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, p. 61.)

 Oct. 1988: "Wickedness is rapidly expanding in every segment of our
society. (See D&C 1:14- 16; 84:49-53.) It is more highly organized, more
cleverly disguised, and more powerfully promoted than ever before. Secret
combinations lusting for power, gain, and glory are flourishing. A secret
combination that seeks to overthrow the freedom of all lands, nations, and
countries is increasing its evil influence and control over America and the
entire world. (See Ether 8:18-25.)" (Conference Report, Oct. 1988, Ensign,
Nov. 1988, p. 87; italics added.)

 April 1987: "Secret combinations flourished because, as Helaman tells us,
the Gadianton robbers 'had seduced the more part of the righteous until
they had come down to believe in their works and partake of their spoils'
(Helaman 6:38)." (Conference Report, April 1987, Ensign, May 1987, p. 4;
italics added.)

--
Steven Montgomery
[EMAIL PROTECTED]