Stephen Beecroft wrote:

> -Marc-
> > But since you're the one who's here to police our logic,
>
> That's rather unkind. Untrue, as well. I never pursue discussions for
> argument's sake alone. Never.

But you did say you felt you had a mandate to police my logic at one time. I'm
yanking your chain -- don't take this too seriously.

> > perhaps you could tell me when you picked up telepathy as a talent.
>
> A short book called _Telepathy through Reading_. I'm still working my
> way through it.
>
> > You might want to demand a refund on your tuition and
> > use that refund to take a quick mini-course on emoticons.
>
> No, I've largely (though not completely) foresworn emoticons as ersatz
> writing crutches. As in your "winky-smiley" example, I can't tell
> whether they mean "I sure am funny, huh?" or "Truth in jest, buddy!" or
> "Is anyone silly enough to believe this?" or something altogether
> different. So, unless the writing is obviously tongue-in-cheek or
> sarcastic, neither of which seemed to apply to yours, I tend to take it
> at face value.

That's the problem with email, though. The medium really is the message, and
email is ill-suited for subtlety and emotional shadings. That's why there are
often so many misunderstandings. So I *do* use emoticons, even though I know many
sophisticated users consider them unfashionable. But each to their own. I will
say that at least you write clearly and precisely, which helps very much.

> Stephen

"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and
falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."

solely; its contents do not necessarily reflect those of the authorís employer,