Stephen Beecroft wrote:

> -Marc-
> > Trivia time, boys and girls: anybody know what the original US
> >                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > action was that prompted the emplacement of missiles in Cuba?
> > ^^^^^^
> > [...] NATO had put into place batteries of missiles in NE Turkey,
> > aimed at the USSR, and it was in retaliation for this that
> > Khrushchev put missiles in Cuba. [...] The problem is that today
> > we tend to remember Cuba, but forget that we wronged them first.
>
> -Stephen-
> > Wow. NATO, led by the US, no doubt, decided out of a clear blue sky
>
> -Marc-
> > Why do you say they did it out of the clear blue sky?
>
> It was sarcasm. You spoke of "the original US action" as the trigger for
> the incident,

it was.

> without acknowledging that perhaps the so-called "original
> US action" was in fact done in response to other Soviet actions -- in
> which case (by your logic) the blame would rest on the USSR, not on the
> USA.

Well, sure, and you can carry it back to the beginning of the Cold War. But the
point was that the Cuban missile crisis didn't just pop up out of the blue --
that's all I was saying, and nothing more.

>
>
> In other words, you're claiming that "the US started it".

The words within your quotes are words I've never stated, nor do I believe them.

> But you're not
> backing that claim up with anything at all except your own word. I
> respect your knowledge of history and world events, but somehow I just
> don't think I'll accept your word for it that the US action that
> supposedly precipitated the Cuban missile crisis was the "original
> action". I bet

Do you know, or is this more telepathy?

> it was precipitated by a number of Soviet events; in
> fact, with a little prodding, I bet you could even name many of those
> actions (hint: eastern Europe, southeast Asia, other Soviet expansionist
> actions).
>

Your telepathy is in overdrive today.

>
> -Marc-
> > I'd be surprised if it hadn't been part of a strategy. Of course
> > there was a reason. But that wasn't my question.
>
> What question? You mean the one you already answered, that the Cuban
> missile crisis was caused by an "original US action" of stationing
> missiles in Turkey? I wasn't addressing that question; I was addressing
> your answer to it.
>

Yeah, yeah, and it's tortoises all the way down...

>
> -Stephen-
> > Less ignorant than before,
>
> -Marc-
> > But more and more telepathic all the time.
>
> Practice makes perfect.
>
> > The problem is, to be sarcastic, you have to be sarcastic of
> > *something.* Nowhere in my post did I ever said that NATO put
> > missiles in Turkey for no reason
>
> You clearly implied it in saying that "the original US action"
> precipitated the Cuban missile crisis,

Which is true.

> all the while ignoring that that
> supposedly "original" action also had a history behind it.

Because any previous history wasn't part of the question. How far back do you
want to take it -- to Adam?

>
>
> > -- I was clarifiying the idea that the Russians put missiles
> > in Cuba for no reason.
>
> Reread your self-answer, Marc: "The problem is that today we tend to
> remember Cuba, but forget that we wronged them first."

This is correct. It's been my experience that the vast majority of North
Americans do *not* know that the Cuban missile crisis was immediately
precipitated and was the immediate response by the Soviets to what they took to
be the provocative action of NATO stationing missiles in Turkey.

> Huh? We wronged
> them *first*? If you did not intend to say that there was no reason for
> our stationing of missiles in Turkey, then what exactly did you mean by
> saying that "we wronged them first"?

First -- previous, prior to, before. Don't rely on telepathy to the point where
you burn your dictionaries ;-)

>
>
> Stephen

--
Marc A. Schindler
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada -- Gateway to the Boreal Parkland

"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and
falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."
--Michelangelo Buonarroti

Note: This communication represents the informal personal views of the author
solely; its contents do not necessarily reflect those of the authorís employer,
nor those of any organization with which the author may be associated.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
///  ZION LIST CHARTER: Please read it at  ///
///  http://www.zionsbest.com/charter.html      ///
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

==^^===============================================================
This email was sent to: archive@jab.org

EASY UNSUBSCRIBE click here: http://topica.com/u/?aaP9AU.bWix1n
Or send an email to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

T O P I C A -- Register now to manage your mail!
http://www.topica.com/partner/tag02/register
==^^===============================================================

Reply via email to