Mark Gregson wrote:

> > If one defines a good Democrat as being someone who works
> > within the party to bring about a better platform, select better leaders and
> > elect better office holders (those that would agree with church teachings),
> > then it would be possible to be a good Mormon and a good Democrat.
>
> Thanks to everyone who posted to help me understand the byzantine system of voting
>in the US (as opposed to the byzantine system in Canada or Australia - why couldn't
>we have a nice simple system like Iraq; there's one person on one ballot once every
>eight years.  You vote yes or no. And he gets 100% turnout, too.  Now _that's_ how to
>run a voting system :-)).

AND you get to shoot your guns off all night in celebration! Kewl! [according to this
morning's news, Saddam had to issue a proclamation telling people to stop celebrating
-- apparently several people in Baghdad have been killed by random falling bullets. I
am not making this up]

--
Marc A. Schindler

“We do not think that there is an incompatibility between words and deeds; the worst
thing is to rush into action before the consequences have been properly debated…To
think of the future and wait was merely another way of saying one was a coward; any
idea of moderation was just an attempt to disguise one’s unmanly character; ability to
understand a question from all sides meant that one was totally unfitted for action.”
– Pericles about his fellow-Athenians, as quoted by Thucydides in “The
Peloponessian Wars”

Note: This communication represents the informal personal views of the author solely;
its contents do not necessarily reflect those of the author’s employer, nor those of
any organization with which the author may be associated.