Re: Bouncing messages

Dear Listmember,

A number of you have been having trouble receiving list mail from time to time. Still others have been automatically removed from the list. For this I apologize. The problem in most cases is bouncing mail.

A soft bounce occurs when a mail box is full, a temporary problem. A hard bounce occurs when the mailbox has been deleted, a permanent problem. Normally I delete hard bouncing addresses from the list and re-enable the soft bouncing addresses. However, there has recently been a change in policy at Topica, our list host. When an too many soft bounces have been received, that address is permanently removed from the list. To continue receiving list mail, a subscriber must then either read the mail on the Topica website or subscribe with a different address.

I speculate that because of increasing problems with spam, many ISPs filter for spam and if the spam filter is set too high, then list mail gets bounced. In any case, to continue as a subscriber, you need to make sure that your ISP does not repeatedly bounce mail sent to your email address.

So... whenever the list mail stops coming to your mailbox, consider it likely that your address has been bouncing. I will never kick anyone off the list without telling the subscriber what I have done and why. Also, keep in mind that if your address bounces enough, I will not be able to restore it. Either speak with your system administrator and find out why he is bouncing so much of your mail, or plan on changing your email address.

Again, I'm sorry about these problems, but there is not much that I can do about it. I thought I ought to let you know what is going on.

Your friend and brother,
John W. Redelfs, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

/// ZION LIST CHARTER: Please read it at ///
/// http://www.zionsbest.com/charter.html ///