When I lived in Seattle, when I was 14 I got my patriarchal blessing (this was in
the old Renton ward of the Seattle Stake -- there are now 2 or 3 stakes in the
region that old ward covered, which dates me!). The patriarch asked me if I
wouldn't please try to friendship his son, who was going inactive. I tried but we
didn't have much in common -- his favourite hobby was shooting sparrows with his
BB gun from his bedroom window. Ironically I was pretty good with a BB gun and a
pellet gun, although I never actually owned one. But my cousins had them, also
.22's. They lived on a farm in Saskatchewan and were used to shooting vermin
around the granaries, and they first taught me to shoot. They would put an old
ace of spades card or something like that on a clothesline, and we'd use it for
target practice. They never killed animals needlessly -- not even grasshoppers.
The hardest thing my older cousin Donnie (who's about 4 years older than me) had
to do was about when I was 9 or 10. A chick was born with its head on the front
of its thorax instead of on top, and would die of starvation or asphyxiation. My
uncle told Donnie to kill the chick to put it out of its misery, and I came along
out of curiosity and to lend moral support. We were both crying on the way back
-- Donnie whacked the poor critter against a fence post to kill it.

Paul Osborne wrote:

> >Till, who hopes he hasn't offended
>
> Of course not. I'm the one around here that probably is the most
> offensive. When I was a kid I use to through rocks at beehives and shoot
> my bee bee gun at the neighbors windows. :-)
>
> Paul O
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

“We do not think that there is an incompatibility between words and deeds; the
worst thing is to rush into action before the consequences have been properly
debated…To think of the future and wait was merely another way of saying one was
a coward; any idea of moderation was just an attempt to disguise one’s unmanly
character; ability to understand a question from all sides meant that one was
totally unfitted for action.” – Pericles about his fellow-Athenians, as quoted by
Thucydides in “The Peloponessian Wars”